Friends and Family

Day 2 Beijing

Go down

Day 2 Beijing

Post by ayrshireboy on Thu 18 Oct - 18:28

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19066812/190]

[/url]Up early this morning as we have a long drive to the great wall, approx 2 hours away but the traffic is always bad. But first we are going to see the summer palace which is where the Dowager empress stayed in the summer (just means she was the emperors mother.) It is about 35 km away from the forbidden city so it took them quite a while to get there. 

The whole feeling at the summer palace is much more relaxed than the previous day at the forbidden city. It is a beautiful day and we see it in all its glory and as the sun is already hot you can feel the coolness of the palaces buildings and even the long outdoor corridor which is under cover and is a km long is lovely and cool but even now the locals are pushing past you and staring at us especially me, so I asked the guide why and she said a lot of people come here from small towns and villages all over China where they don't see Europeans very often and so they are very taken with our round eyes and "big noses" and according to her I am a giant here although I am only 6ft 1 she says she means because I am broad shouldered as well.

Any way back to the car which always magically appears and we are off to Montanyiu which has one of the best preserved parts of the great wall. As usual I fall asleep in the back of the car and before long we are at the start of national park. The guide says normally we would have to get out here and get a shuttle bus up to the shopping area but she produces a Subway voucher and I mean the eating place and we are waved through, she says she does this all the time and it saves waiting for the buses, but it is still a good half hour hike up a steep hill to the cable car that takes us up to the base of the wall.

The Chinese think that the number 4 is unlucky as when it is spoken it sounds like death so a lot of hotels etc don't have a 4th floor, any way our cable car comes round and it is number 13 and I tell her that 13 is supposed to be  unlucky to us and she says we can take the next one, but I say its okay we will risk it Very Happy . on the way up the scenery is stunning and before long we are at the foot of the wall. Now for a small race the steps up are really big, even I had to stretch a bit, but wow was it worth it. The walkways are quite uneven so you have to take care. Alison stood in one of the guardhouses as I went a long the wall for a bit. We were blessed by the weather and you could see for miles, again it was busy and quite dangerous as the Chinese don't care about pushing you out of the way. The guide was great and took pictures of us and always said Chopsticks as she took the picture. Apparently Mao said you weren't a hero of the revolution unless you walk on the wall, so I guess I am a hero.

Before long we were making our way back down and we passed the Boston Bruins Ice hockey team who were in China to play exhibition matches. A lot of Chinese smoke so our guide asked me if I have ever smoked and I said no never she then said what about drinking to which I said rarely, she hesitated and the said" Your a good boy" it was as if she was my mum Very Happy .

We then had a very nice Chinese lunch which includes loads of rice.... after that it was back to the hotel which took ages because of a massive traffic jam.
Then it was time to start packing for our flight to Xian the next morning.
ayrshireboy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: Day 2 Beijing

Post by lovetoshop on Thu 18 Oct - 22:05

Did I read that correct, Alison didn't walk song the wall, just you? Fantastic photos think you x
lovetoshop
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ayrshireboy on Thu 18 Oct - 22:13

lovetoshop wrote:Did I read that correct, Alison didn't walk song the wall, just you?  Fantastic photos think you x

Yes just me the steps down to the wall were really steep and there were no handrails, she did walk along at another but though that was easier to get on to.
ayrshireboy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by alysond on Fri 19 Oct - 9:09

Amazing photos. It really is spectacular isn`t it?
alysond
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ayrshireboy on Fri 19 Oct - 9:12

alysond wrote:Amazing photos. It really is spectacular isn`t it?
It is actually awe inspiring.
ayrshireboy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie4 on Fri 19 Oct - 10:55

wow I love your pictures
Love the wall Cool
Our local Chinese chippy does not have a number 4 on their menu I never asked why … now I know why Very Happy

Fantastic thanks for sharing
Debbie4
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiricahua on Sat 20 Oct - 14:58

And again fantastic ...thank you!
chiricahua
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down