Friends and Family

Toronto - Day 2 - Monday 5th February 2018

Go down

Post by Goldengirl30 on Thu 15 Feb - 12:00

So today was our first full day and we were all looking forward to seeing what the day brought.  Paul and I woke initially at about 3.30am but managed to get back to sleep until about 6 which wasn’t too bad.

We met Mum and Brian at 8am with a view to getting some breakfast.  I had researched on Trip Advisor places for breakfast that locals recommend and the top pick was a place called Sunset Grill.  This turned out to be a 10 minute walk from the hotel which was great.  The weather was cloudy but dry and utterly freezing.  Those first few breaths you take when you leave the hotel actually hurt your lungs.  It was -12 but felt like -15 according to the weather channel.  However, it was lovely and you could feel the clean air.

We found Sunset Grill no problem and settled in to a table.  The menu was typical Canadian/American fare but was utterly delicious.  We were all really hungry.  Paul and I had an omelette and Mum and Brian opted for home fries covered in lots of delicious toppings.  The prices were really good and there was unlimited coffee!

My mum is tiny and doesn’t eat an awful lot but she gobbled up the whole plate  Very Happy Everything was delicious and it became our choice place for breakfast.

The plan today was to start using our CityPass.  This was a bargain - it cost £51 each and included entry in to all the major attractions.  Today we decided on the CN Tower and the aquarium.  We had a slow (very full bellied) walk to the CN tower.  

The tower is an imposing building because of its height but is stunning to look at and through the days we were there, I found myself simply looking up at it.  The CN tower was built in 1976 and for years was the highest feel-standing building in the world but still holds the record for the tallest tower in the Western Hemisphere.  It is 1815ft tall and the left from bottom to top takes 42 seconds.  We were pleased it was a clear morning as the night before, we couldn’t really see the top of the building as it covered in clouds.  The cost would have been just shy of CAD$50 so the CityPass was already worth the purchase.  

There is an airport style security check and then you enter the base of the tower.  From there you are taken to the lift and whizzed up to the first observation desk which is 112 floors up.  It is utterly breath-taking up there and the views are stunning.  We could see for miles and miles.  There is a further observation desk further up at 142 floors up.  Mum, Brian and I all went up there but Paul declined  Laughing   I’ll let the photos (sorry for the overload) speak for themselves.  Here are the views from the first deck.

Here are the views from the higher deck.

We spent about an hour at the top and enjoyed every single second of it. In the summer, they run an extreme sports style event where you get to stand on the outside of the first observation deck and virtually dangle off the edge.  I would LOVE to do that and we ever go back in the warmer weather, I will definitely do it.

They have a great gift shop at the bottom where I brought a cool new mug to use at work.  This was closest I came to having my photo taken with a Canadian Mountie  Laughing

Next on the agenda was Ripley Aquarium which is right next door to the tower.

We love aquariums and can spend hours in them.  Entry for this would have been just shy of CAD$30 so we had already virtually made our money on the CityPass plus you get to skip the ticket line and head straight in to the attraction.  If you ever visit a city, definitely check if they have CityPass available as they are worth it.
This was the best aquarium we have ever been in, it was amazing!  First off was the section dedicated to Canadian waters and specifically the lakes - Toronto sits on the edge of Lake Ontario.  This was really interesting.

The exhibits are huge and the information they provide is really good and often very interactive.  Next was Rainbow Reef - every time I see coral and coral fish, I am astounded at how beautiful nature is, the colors and shapes are stunning.

Next was the exhibit which the aquarium is famous for, its predator tunnel.  It’s similar to that in Seaworld where you walk under sharks and other big fish but is tonnes better.  You are so close to the fish it really does feel like you are submerged in their world.  I spent ages in this bit, it was fascinating,

We stopped at the cafe at this point for a drink as we were all really thirsty from our breakfast and needed a few minutes rest.  Cracking on, we finished off the aquarium with the last few exhibits including stunning jellyfish tanks.  One of them was like a living lava lamp the way the light package was done and the jellies were floating.

We said goodbye to the aquarium all agreeing it was the best we have ever been too.  I could have spent all day in there.

We then went for a little walk, not really knowing where we were going to honest!  Paul and Brian wanted some lunch so we thought we would just wander and see what we came across.  These are the buildings behind the CN tower and aquarium and run parallel to Lake Ontario.  They are typical of the high rise building in Toronto.

We came across the Air Canada stadium which Paul and I would visit the following evening to watch the basketball.  This is the home of the Toronto Raptors basketball team and Toronto Maple Leafs ice-hockey team and also regularly holds concerts.

We then came across Toronto Union Station- this is the main Station in Toronto for national rail and part of the subway system.  It is the busiest railway hub in Canada and the building is being restored to its former glory from the 1800’s when it was first built. A few weeks ago, Michael Portilo visited Toronto as part of his American Railway Journeys Programme on BBC2 and showed the grand hall of the station which looked stunning so we went inside to take a look.

Opposite the station is the Fairmont Royal Hotel which is one of the original hotels built by the Pacific Railway Company in their heyday.  The Pacific Railway Company built a few luxurious hotels across Canada linking all the major cities along the way railway from east to west coast Canada.  They have all now been taken over by the Fairmont group.  This is the choice hotel for the rich and famous when visiting Canada and is where the Queen stayed when she visited.  It’s a stunning building and you can imagine the excitement of the passengers stepping of the steam train at Union Station and immediately seeing their beautiful hotel.

We found a Tim Hortons for lunch where Paul and Brian had a sandwich, I had a donut and a coffee and mum skipped as she was still full from breakfast.

This afternoon,Paul and I wanted to visit Roots which is like the Canadian version of Abercrombie and Fitch.  Mum and Brian wanted to do a bit more local exploring and so we separated for a few hours.  Paul and I needed to navigate the subway for the first time!  We found Union Station underground and spoke to a very helpful lady at the information desk who explained how the system worked.  Each journey cost CAD$3.25 which would get you to any station on the subway map and then onward transit on a street car (tram) or bus as long as you printed yourself a receipt from a machine past the initial turnstiles.  It was dead cheap as some of the distances were quite great.  We brought 4 token in anticipation of the return journey and from there it was dead easy.  The lines work in the same way as London and once we got used to the token system, it was easy peasey! The tokens were tiny though - about the size of your small finger nail so could be easily lost.

We found our way to the shop and had a good look round.  A few CAD$ spent on jumpers and t-shirts!  The shop we found was on the expensive street in Toronto and so we had a wander along but didn't go in any of the other shops - way out of their price range.  When we made it to the end of the road, we found the Royal Ontario Museum which we had planned for later in the week.

We also saw the CN tower in the distance and Paul said we should walk back as it didn’t look too far away.  So we set off, it was a lovely afternoon.  We found the the Toronto University site which had some lovely old buildings.

We also walked through Queens Park which looked stunning in the snow which was really quite deep.

The CN tower just didn’t seem to be getting any closer, the skyline is really quite deceptive but the walk was lovely and it took us about 45 minutes in the end to walk back compared to the 10 minute subway journey.  But, it was worth it as we saw more of the city which we would have ordinarily missed.  it also taught us, that the city is easy to navigate and gave us confidence to walk to more the places we had previously planned on taking the subway too.

We made it back to the hotel and found Mum and Brian relaxing in the lobby with a coffee.  The hotel is attached to the Rogers Centre which is home to the Blue Jays baseball team.  The lights were on in the stadium.  Some of the rooms overlook the stadium and I am sure they are extortionate in price when a game is on.  The bar and restaurant also overlook the stadium.

Paul and I grabbed a beer and relaxed for half and hour or so before going to get ready for dinner.

Dinner that night was at The Keg which turned out to be a 15 minute walk from the hotel which wasn’t too bad.  It was a lovely restaurant (its a chain over North America).  Paul and I had steak, Brian had fried chicken and Mum had a cauliflower steak!  Never before had I even heard of a cauliflower steak let alone seen one; it literally is a cross-section of cauliflower cooked in the same way as a steak! All the meals were delicious.

We walked back to the hotel, it was a cold but lovely evening.

We were all shattered and so retreated to our rooms ready for tomorrows adventures.
Goldengirl30
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: Toronto - Day 2 - Monday 5th February 2018

Post by Debbie4 on Thu 15 Feb - 12:35

wow what a fantastic day
love the size of the food your mum got Shocked
The CN Tower is amazing
Like I said on FB I could not go on the glass floor (you where brave)

Beautiful pictures
Cant wait for the next one
aren't you & your mum alike x
Debbie4
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alysond on Thu 15 Feb - 12:37

Well that was far too many photos..... said no body ever!!!!! bounce

What an amazing place to visit. It`s never been on my radar before but it just goes to show how little some of us know about these other places. I thing you`re mad though to stand on that glass floor and get so close to the edge. affraid We did 102 floors and even then I couldn`t stand right by the glass unless I had my back to it!!
On your recommendation we`re taking the boys to Tim Horton`s tomorrow, will do a trip report for you Laughing
Can`t wait for the next day I love you
alysond
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ilovesnowwhitej on Thu 15 Feb - 14:28

Picture overload ? Do you know us at all? lol Love Love Love pictures

What a fantastic first day, you would off had to have prised me out of the aquarium or tempt me with one of those doughnuts Smile Truly amazing.
xx
ilovesnowwhitej
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by chiricahua on Thu 15 Feb - 17:59

FANTASTIC.....thank you.......that tower not for meeee Shocked ....i went up blackpool tower and came right back down..(my claw marks are still in the steel) and yet i love gliding and flying Laughing

again thank you for the trippie and pics!!!............
chiricahua
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by lovetoshop on Thu 15 Feb - 21:49

Love the photos from the top of the tower, the snow makes everything look so magical, also love the glass floor, I would love to stand on that. Aquariums are so relaxing and beautiful places to visit, I would be so chilled after visiting there. Amazing photos, thanks for sharing x
lovetoshop
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by manxies on Fri 16 Feb - 16:02

great report, thank you. Photos are amazing. Looks a really interesting place. Where did you get your city tickets from, on line somewhere.

I plan to go up one or two of the towers in Chicago and if Im brave enough step on the glass floor. photos were stunning from up there thank you.
manxies
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Chirpy on Sat 17 Feb - 14:50

Fantastic report, love all the photos Very Happy

Chirpy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowbankles on Sat 17 Feb - 15:36

Some fab photos there x
Meadowbankles
The Bruiser
The Bruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by ayrshireboy on Mon 26 Feb - 21:29

Thanks again, I stayed at the Fairmont when I was there in 2013.
ayrshireboy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lildie on Wed 7 Mar - 22:31

Fantastic photos
Lildie
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down