Friends and Family

The other side of the world

Go down

The other side of the world

Post by ayrshireboy on Sun 28 Jan - 20:50

I thought that I would do a pre trip report, and post some pictures when we are away, so here goes.

Thursday 8th February we are getting a taxi up to the HIE at Glasgow airport and staying overnight, thought that this was the best idea just in case the weather turns bad again also means we can have a bit of a lie in and a leisurely 3 minute walk to the terminal to check in which hopefully means we wont be spending hours in he departure lounge.

Friday 9th Feb, flight leaves at 1pm (emirates) and a 7.5hr flight to Dubai, which tbh isn't a great airport but we only have 3 hours there so not too bad just enough time for the toilet and a cuppa. Then it is a 14.5hr flight to Melbourne arriving at 23.20 on the 10th of Feb, basically just going to the hotel to sleep.

11th Feb, Picked up from our hotel and taken to the port to board the Golden Princess for a 13 day cruise round NZ, the first 2 days are at sea, with the 3rd day being scenic cruising through the sounds, (Milford, Doubtful and Dusky).

15th Feb we arrive in Dunedin which is called the Edinburgh of the south and has strong Scottish connections. We have booked a city tour ourselves as the trips from the ship are expensive. We are going to go round the Otago peninsula and surrounding areas and end up back in Dunedin. ( the city centre has a big statue of Robert Burns in it).

16th Feb We arrive in Akaroa which is the port for Christchurch but we are just going to stay in Akaroa as it is stunning and also Christ church is a 2 hour bus run away.

17th Feb Wellington. Alison is going to meet her friend as she stays in Wellington, I am not going to go with her as it is Alisons friend and I would be in the way so to speak instead I am going to the Wega cave which is where they did all the special effects for the Hobbit and lord of the rings films also going to go to the First world war exhibition which has been created by sir Peter Jackson and looks amazing.

18th Feb Gisbourne, which lays claim to being the first city in the world to see the sun in the morning, just going to have a look around on our own while we are here, big wine country apparently.

19th Tauranga, we are going to Rotorua to see a Maori village well a heritage site anyway, then to the geothermal spas for a wee dook (swim).

we should have been going to Auckland but we received notification that the ship cant make full speed and therefore in order for it to get back to Melbourne in time we have to miss out Auckland its a pity but we have been compensated for it. We tan have four days at sea arriving in Melbourne on Saturday the 24th Feb at 6am, we are then taken back to our hotel and then out to play and have a look at Melbourne and especially the huge market across from our hotel which is the hotel Jasper.
25th Feb this trip was part of the package, we go on the puffing Billy steam train are served lunch and have afternoon tea at a winery and no doubt Alison will sample a few wines.

26th February We have booked our own tour for today and we are going to Phillip Island to see the smallest Penguin species that there is we are also going to a nature reserve before that.

27th Feb we are going along the great ocean road which was made by soldiers returning after the great war, we will also see the 12 Apostles which are rock formations in the see, the next land fall after that is Antarctica (apparently)

28th Feb Fly to Sydney, we have dinner booked in the revolving upper part of the Skytower.

01 March We have a city sightseeing trip which again was part of the package which will take us to Bondi, etc and a tour of the opera house.

2nd and 3rd March one of these day we will go over to Manly as it is supposed to be fantastic and very laid back.

4th March Fly home via Dubai and probably to the cold and rain.

Sorry if I have bored you all
ayrshireboy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: The other side of the world

Post by lovetoshop on Mon 29 Jan - 0:53

Wow that all sounds amazing, looking forward to seeing all the photos.
lovetoshop
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by alysond on Mon 29 Jan - 9:37

What a wonderful trip. My sister got married in New Zealand, she has a good friend there and has been to visit 3 times. She loves it so it`s always been on my list. Make sure you take LOADS of photos!
alysond
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Chirpy on Mon 29 Jan - 10:06

Sounds like one hell of a trip Graham, look forward to seeing your pics
Chirpy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie4 on Mon 29 Jan - 12:49

wow sounds fantastic .. you are packing a lot in Very Happy

Looking forward to the pictures especially the penguins Laughing

Debbie4
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chiricahua on Mon 29 Jan - 18:04

brilliant...
chiricahua
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lildie on Mon 29 Jan - 18:36

Sounds like an awesome trip, looking forward to seeing lots of photos
Lildie
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldengirl30 on Mon 29 Jan - 19:04

Boring?! Never! Sounds absolutely amazing with some fantastic sights. Please take loads of photos especially of the penguins as I adore them. Have a super time.
Goldengirl30
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowbankles on Mon 12 Feb - 18:29

Wow! That sounds amazing!
Meadowbankles
The Bruiser
The Bruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by ilovesnowwhitej on Thu 15 Feb - 14:03

Bored us? are you mad? Smile Oh Graham sounds  like a truly fantastic trip.  Enjoy
xx
ilovesnowwhitej
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by manxies on Fri 16 Feb - 16:03

sounds great, cant wait.
manxies
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down