Friends and Family

Boston - Day 1 - Monday 13th February 2017

Go down

Post by Goldengirl30 on Sun 19 Feb - 17:20

So our first full day in Boston Very Happy We both woke around 3am but managed to get back to sleep again until about 6am which wasn't too bad.  We watched TV for a bit taking in the weather predictions for the next few days which wasn't looking too bad.  They had said this morning was going to be bad with a predicted storm with a few inches of snow but couldn't be entirely sure what would hit downtown Boston.  Never mind, that wouldn't dampen our spirits.

We planned to visit the New England Aquarium this morning and so we studied our maps on how to get there.  The room had a Starbucks coffee maker so I had one of those before we got ready to hit the day.  The hotel is attached to 2 shopping malls - The Prudential and Copley Mall and also has a Starbucks in the lobby.  The receptionist who checked us in also gave us a coupon for 2 free Starbuck drinks and so we opted to use these for breakfast along with a egg, sausage and cheese muffin which was delicious.  

Boston has a subway system known locally as the T.  All the research I had done online said this was the cheapest way to navigate the city and the maps looked fairly easy to read.  The Prudential Mall has a T stop which took about 5 minutes to walk to from the lobby.  So we headed to this taking in what else the mall had to offer.  The T stop has a small entrance before you hit the escalator and this houses 3-4 homeless people; they were the same people every time we walked past and one of them even had a iPhone!  It was sad to see, the city suffers badly with a homeless population but I suspect this is the same everywhere nowadays Neutral

We brought a 7 day pass which allowed travel on all routes and cost $20 each which is very, very reasonable when compared to London!  The T is clean and reliable but often exceptionally busy.  We used it everyday and found it was great way to get around, easy to navigate and excellent value for money.  The locals have a card referred to as a Charlie Card - this is named after a man called Charlie who got on the T when the journey cost 10cent but before he finished his journey, the price went up to 15c.  The story is that Charlie didn't have the extra 5c to get off the T so just rode it all day and night with his wife meeting him at their local station to give him a sandwich everyday!  

We arrived at our stop and quickly found the aquarium.  The entrance fee was included in our Go City Boston card so we just showed our voucher to gain entry.  The aquarium is right on the harbour and it was freezing cold with an icy, icy wind.  

The aquarium was fantastic.  It had loads of different exhibits all centred around one main tank full of fish and a giant turtles.  They also had a giant Anaconda which was huge - I've never seen one in the flesh before.  Paul stood at the tank and pretended to speak Parseltongue  Laughing (hope some Harry Potter fans get that!).  They also had a penguin exhibit which I loved as I am fascinated but them.  Overall, it was a great morning and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  Sadly my camera didn't like the cold conditions and so I had to rely on my iPhone for all holiday snaps so am missing some.  In the summer, they run boat trips from the Aquarium to go whale watching.

We had planned to go on the Boston Trolley today which is a fully guided tour of the city but due to the predicted snow storm (which never did materialise) this wasn't running.  So, we changed our plans slighted and visited the nearby Fanueil Hall (pronounced Fan-u-all) and Quincey Market.  Faneuil Hall is one of the key historic buildings in Boston build by Peter Fanueil and donated to Boston as a place where people could talk about key topics and it is still used for that purpose today.  It has developed in to a shopping and restaurant area.  

We had a lovely few hours round this area.  There was a lovely mix of well-kwown shops and local shops.  Paul brought a nice new top in Abercrombie and Fitch.  

Quincey Market is also home to one of the 2 Cheers bars in Boston.  This particular one is the replica of the inside of the bar and we of course had to sit at the bar and have a beer.  It was such a cool experience Very Happy The bar had loads of photos of the cast and items from the show.  We also had to buy a beer glass as well as a souvenir!

By this time we were both hungry but didn't want a big sit down meal which Cheers served so we just had the one drink and then headed in to Quincey Market.  This is an area locals go to for lunch.  It is a long indoor corridor filled with different food stands.  The choice was amazing and it was clear why it was so popular.  I opted for Clam Chowder and Paul had a sandwich.  The chowder was so delicious.  Quincey Market has been in situ for many years and the seating area has a lovely feel about it with everyone sitting together and chatting.

After lunch, we decided to head to the TD Garden and visit the Sport Museum (bet you can't guess which of us chose that! Laughing ).  This was just a short T ride away but I somehow managed to attract the attention of a "local".  This always happens to me, on a bus, train or other public transport.  They see me and think, oh she looks friendly and make a bee line for the spare seat next to me.  This guy was very friendly but insisted on travelling some of the journey with us despite our hints.  He told us all about his life - he lives in a poor area of Boston and used to work as a busker on the T so can spot tourists.  Our saving grace was he couldn't climb the stairs at one station so this was our escape - I did feel a bit bad when he asked us to use the lift with him but fear we may have been stuck with him for a lot longer Shocked

So we arrived at TD Garden which is home of the Boston Celtics basketball team and Boston Bruins ice-hockey team to be told the museum wasn't open today Rolling Eyes As we had tickets for the basketball in a few days time, we took the opportunity to visit the pro-shop and brought some Celtics t-shirts to wear at the game.

We headed back to the hotel to drop off our bags and decided to explore the area close by.  Directly behind the hotel is Bolyston Street which is where the Boston Marathon finishes and of course site of the horrific bombings a few years ago.  At the junction closest to our hotel is the local fire station who were first on scene following the bombings.  

Bolyston Street actually runs for miles and miles but we only explored the section closest to our hotel.  By now the sun was setting and the wind really had picked up, I honestly don't think I've ever been so cold in my entire life.  The ambient air temperature was about 1-2c but wind chill made it feel about -9-10c.  We nipped in to various shops to warm up along the way.  

Bolyston Street is also home to the Boston Public Library which is the largest lending library in America.  We wanted to go inside but it was shut (we aren't doing to well on the planning front today!).  The building is huge and takes up a large proportion of one side of this section of the street.  it also houses some of the personal collection of books belonging to the 2nd president of the US John Adams.  

Opposite Boston Library is one of Boston's many juxtapositions.  One of the oldest and beautiful churches in Boston directly next door to the tallest skyscraper in Boston.

The church has been voted in the top 5 most beautiful in America and is housed next to the John Hancock Tower which at 60 storeys high is the tallest building in Boston.  It really is bizarre to see and as we found out over the next few days, this is the way the city builds; it is happy to build big and often ugly skyscrapers right next to some of the most historic buildings in all if the USA.  The church is called the Trinity Church and was built in 1872 and is still an active church to this day.  Part of the film National Treasure starring Nicholas Cage was filmed inside.  It is now listed on the US register of historic places.  

Having walked for miles and miles (we walked a total of 16km, 23606 steps) we headed back to the hotel to freshen up.  Dinner tonight was at the Cheesecake Factory - we have never eaten there before and was really looking forward to it having heard many a good thing about it.  I had Shrimp Pasta and Paul had Catfish.  The portions were massive and neither of us could finish our dinner.  Having already spied the cheesecakes on the way in, I of course had room for a portion  Very Happy   I opted for a slice of peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake and it was delicious but again too big for me to finish.

Stuffed and really tired, we headed back to the hotel  Sleep  Sleep
Goldengirl30
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston - Day 1 - Monday 13th February 2017

Post by lovetoshop on Sun 19 Feb - 18:20

I loved Quincy market, I remember we ordered clam chowder and a po'boy Laughing  which was really stupid as the clam chowder would have been enough.  Love all the photos, thanks for sharing.
lovetoshop
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Chirpy on Sun 19 Feb - 20:11

Looks like a beautiful city, and how cool to have a beer in a Cheers bar Very Happy
Chirpy
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Lildie on Sun 19 Feb - 21:53

Loving all your photos and the write up, I'd love to go to the cheers bar it looks awesome
Lildie
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by alysond on Mon 20 Feb - 9:23

I don't get aquariums, but Glenn LOVES them! Laughing

The market looks amazing and so does all the snow... but boy does it look cold!! affraid
The National Treasure films are some of our favourites so well jell you got to see the church. As you say though, why put that skyscraper next to it? Evil or Very Mad
I`ve never seen Cheers ( Embarassed ) but again Glenn will be very envious of you having a beer there.

Your photos are excellent, really loving all the buildings. Ready for the next one now please!
alysond
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ilovesnowwhitej on Mon 20 Feb - 15:24

What a brilliant day Smile i would love to go whale watching tho i think i will wait for it to warm up before going Smile and you had a drink in Cheers, love that programme Smile Wow after walking so far you so deserved the cheese cake yummy Smile xx
ilovesnowwhitej
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by manxies on Mon 20 Feb - 22:48

Great photos again thank you. It looked cold. Would like to go in the cheers bar too.

manxies
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Meadowbankles on Thu 23 Feb - 19:35

What a great day. Fab photos, thanks for sharing. It looks so cold!
Meadowbankles
The Bruiser
The Bruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by wikklejan on Fri 24 Feb - 1:06

Well this is why I LOVE trippies.... Too B*****Y cold for me of that I'm sure. brrrrrr Does it get warm in the summer ? if so how warm?

Its a shame everything was closed Rolling Eyes but maybe you will go back later in the trippie ! I will just have to wait and see... pirat

Great pic's again... I would love the hotel as I would be in retail heaven.. Embarassed Laughing
I remember Cheers (ok so I'm old ) Embarassed Shocked

Cant wait to follow you round on the rest of the trippie.... Thank you again...
wikklejan
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by chiricahua on Sun 26 Feb - 19:24

thank you for the trippie...tooo cold for me tho...lol
chiricahua
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down