Friends and Family

Tokyo Disney Day 4

Go down

Tokyo Disney Day 4

Post by Mousemaniac on Sat 7 Nov - 20:06

So were upto Tuesday and today is our 12th wedding anniversary, we agreed we couldn't come all this way and not do anything but Disney lol So we decided an one day off and booked a tour to see Mount Fuji, take a cruise on a lake, a trip on a ropeway and a trip on the Bullet train Smile

We were up early as we needed to find our way to the tour pick up point in Tokyo which involved catching the train. We had a quick breakfast and then went to catch the monorail which would take us to Maihama station.

As we were so early we got to ride at the front of the monorail (there's no driver in the cab) Smile

We managed to figure out which train we needed and buy tickets from the automated machine, they were so cheap, about £1.20 each Shocked
Once on the platform a couple of other trains came and went they are sooo efficient arriving and departing on the dot, the other good thing was it meant we could observe the art of getting on a Japanese train in rush hour lol, the doors open and you turn round and back up basically squashing your way into the carriage, its literally the only way you are going to get on lol.
One of the trains that stopped, ours was just as full:

The journey into Tokyo took about 15 mins and we disembarked into the biggest railway station we've ever been in, this place was huge I think there were 28 platforms over several levels, apparently it handles close to half a million passengers daily and over 3000 trains, it was bigger than some airports Shocked

It took about 15-20 mins to navigate our way out of the station and find the exit we needed lol but finally we appeared outside and saw Tokyo for the first time:

One thing that hit us was it was so clean, I can't recall going to a big city before where the pavements aren't covered in gum and in a lot of places litter, but here there were neither Smile It was like a quieter cleaner version of New York.
Our pick up point for the bus that was to take us to the tour bus was only a few minutes walk and we found it easy enough, we still had about half an hour to wait as we'd set off with plenty of time to spare in case we had gotten lost lol Even the public loos at the bus departure point were spotless, we got a drink from a vending machine and had a bit of a chat with some other Brits and Americans who were also waiting for the coach.

Eventually it came and we got to see a bit of Tokyo on the way to the next bus station where we would catch our actual tour bus, we were there in about 40 mins.
We finally boarded the tour bus and set off, the guide who would be with us all day introduced herself and outlined what we would be doing, she told us about the sights we were seeing on the way, the Expressway we were on was particularly amazing, apparently when Tokyo hosted the Olympics there wasn't time to buy land and improve the road network for the additional traffic so they built the Expressway over all the existing roads and overpassses and it literally winds it's way through the city's skyscrapers being literally outside the windows of them several stories high.

We had a brief stop at the Mount Fuji information centre  and then set off to Mount Fuji's 5th station, we were very lucky with views we got as the Mountain is frequently obscured by mist:

We had about an hour at the 5th station and then we made our way back down for lunch at a hotel. There was on option when booking the tour to include a traditional Japanese meal, we knew Kerrie wouldn't eat any of it so we didn't bother, to be honest neither of us were ever particularly hungry this trip, we just got a drink and some cheese crackers from the shop next to the hotel lol

We were back on the coach after about 45 mins, there was a slight schedule change as the ropeway we were originally going on was closed due to high winds.
First we had a short cruise on Lake Kawaguchi which had some amazing scenery and views of Mount Fuji:

This was followed by going up the Kachi Kachi ropeway which Kerrie wasn't thrilled about as she doesn't like heights. At the top there were some amazing views:

The last part of the coach trip was a bit boring as we still had to go to the original ropeway as some people were staying at a hotel near it, so between going there and then to the train station we were on the coach for a couple of hours, Kerrie managed to sleep for a bit and at least the coach offered free wi-fi.
By the time we got to the train station where we were to catch the Shinkansen (Bullet train) back to Tokyo it was dark, the tour guide had given us our tickets whilst on the coach so we made our way to the platform.
I wanted to take a quick video of the Shinkansen but my first attempt failed miserably lol I saw the lights coming towards the station but by the time I had swiped the screen on my phone and pressed the 1 button to change it from camera to video the train had been and gone lol
I left my phone on and did manage to get a quick video, I think they slow down a bit going through the station but not much lol

It really is an amazing train, fast, comfy, inexpensive and clean, if public transport was like this in this country I might even consider using it lol

We arrived back in Tokyo after about half an hour, we didn't need to buy a ticket as we were already in the station, they have a fare adjustment facility on machines at the other end so we just needed to put our bullet train ticket in those and pay the difference (£1.20 each again) so the ticket would get us through the exit turnstiles. We found our platform in the end and caught the rapid train back to Maihama. 15 mins later and at about 8.30pm Shocked We were tempted to go back to the hotel as we were knackered as we'd been up since 6 and I think we were both still a bit jet lagged but we decided to have a look in Ikspiari.

Ikspiari is more of a high end shopping mall with a few restaurants and a Disney store, I think a Downtown Disney area would be better, we got a few bits from the Disney store which unlike the U.K ones actually had stuff for adults lol.

We caught the monorail back to our station, walked back to the Hilton and got some sandwiches, beer and crisps from the shop and got back to the room just after 9.30. We were probably asleep for 10.30 ready to be first thing ready for DisneySea Smile
Mousemaniac
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Back to top Go down

Re: Tokyo Disney Day 4

Post by Al the mot man on Sat 7 Nov - 20:39

Another fantastic day with yet more stunning photos of te mount and surrounding area
Al the mot man
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie4 on Sun 8 Nov - 14:37

you do pack a lot into a day Laughing

Pictures of the mountain are stunning

Good to see you & Kerry to Very Happy

Fantastic day
Debbie4
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lildie on Sun 8 Nov - 19:30

Another fantastic day your photos are stunning
Lildie
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by alysond on Mon 9 Nov - 9:10

What an amazing day. You did so much, and the photos are great. As you say you couldn't go all that way without seeing Mount Fuji etc. Thanks for taking the time Very Happy
alysond
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by lovetoshop on Fri 13 Nov - 5:31

What a fantastic day and amazing photos, thanks for sharing.
lovetoshop
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldengirl30 on Fri 13 Nov - 21:38

I'm going to use that word again but wow! What a fantastic day you had with stunning scenery. The bullet train sounds amazing - like you said, shame the UK isn't so good. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Goldengirl30
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazyhead on Sat 14 Nov - 10:53

Another amazing day, Im so loving these trippies. Great piccies. xx
Crazyhead
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down